Monday, March 26, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey by EL James

Stars 4.5
(Fifty Shades Trilogy book 1)

When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time. Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.


Amazon.com description



My thoughts; There has been a lot of controversy surrounding this book. From people who say it is fanfic, to people who have put down the author because this was originally a self published book, all the way to being mentioned on a certain Dr's talk show (which I will not name). TBH I had this book on my TBR list because it came highly recommended by countless women in my online book club. I did not hear about the aforementioned controversy until after I had decided to read. And lets be honest! Nothing spurs the want to read a book like a little controversy, right? So it was quickly moved to the top of my list.

  When I first started this book I could see the similarities to a certain sparkly series. Not so much the story but the characters themselves. Would I have noticed had I not heard it was originally started as fanfic? Probably. Would I care? Definitely not! Yes, I did have some instances while reading where I would compare what was happening to something in the "other" story but, all in all toooootalllllly different stories!!

  Now to the hard part. I am having a hard time trying to articulate how I could love a book but disagree with it on so many levels. So bear with me, if you will, while I give it my best shot. Ana is your typical "innocent in every way" heroine. Christian is your typical "automatic swoon inducing" leading man. Then... BAM!!! Mr. Grey opens the door to his dirty little secret and this story, for me, took a left turn -- straight off a cliff. OK, so I know what you are thinking...."That can't be good, right?" Well, the story is in the eye of the beholder. What I see is a troubled man who feels like he has had no control in his life and now, as an adult has decided to take complete control. Ana, in all her naivete wants to love him, and does, in spite of his - shall we say - shortcomings. That being said, I feel for both characters. I want Ana to NOT compromise who she is just because she loves him. I want more of Christian's story so that, maybe, hopefully - Oh, God...Please - I can understand him. I say this all while biting my bottom lip *snickers*

Ok, so here is the deal. I am not going to say what Christians little secret is because; If you feel the way I do, which is also how Ana feels, it makes the story that much more intense. To feel how this person feels while she is feeling it, takes your breath away. Some may find this book a little off-putting, which if I am being honest, I did at times. But, the overall experience is worth it. So I implore you to keep an open mind and enjoy. And as always.....

Happy Reading!! :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment